- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 1/4 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange extract, optional
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and salt. Then set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Stir in orange extract.
- Mix baking soda into applesauce and stir into creamed butter mixture.
- Add flour mixture. Mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- Beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in vanilla and orange extract. Slowly beat in confectioner’s sugar.
- Once the cake has cooled, evenly spread the frosting on top. Decorate with chopped candied orange peel or candied ginger .