- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 pinch nutmeg or cloves - (modest)
- 3/4 cup milk or cream - (to 1 cup)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon butterscotch extract -- (optional)
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup grated walnuts -- (optional)
- 1/3 cup butterscotch chips - finely chopped
- 1 egg white -- whisked
- Confectioners' sugar -- (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line top sheet of doubled up baking sheets with parchment paper or line 8 tuna tins with muffin liners and spray inner sides with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a food processor, place the flour and butter and pulse to break up butter.
- Add sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg or cloves and pulse to combine.
- Turn out dough into a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center and stir in cream, vanilla, butterscotch extract and egg.
- Stir to make a soft dough.
- Fold in butterscotch chips.
- Scoop onto baking sheet or into prepared tins.
- Brush tops with egg white and add ground butterscotch chips.
- Bake until browned -- 16 to 18 minutes.
- Dust with confectioner's sugar when cool.
Make these scones free form with a large ice-cream scoop or in tuna cans. Clean the cans thoroughly of course.